One of the most popular emulator apps available for general use these days is GBA4iOS. It doesn’t require a jailbreak to work and is completely free, offering plenty of features for all users. It offers support for Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo and other consoles, providing you with plenty of choice of games to play. So long as you have a minimum of 2GB RAM on your iPhone or iPad, you can take full advantage of the features we’ll be talking about later.
GBA4iOS is an emulator app and it provides you with the tools you need to play your favorite Nintendo and Gameboy games on your iOS device. These games are in ROM format, Read-Only-Memory, and each is a software copy of the official games on the cartridges or discs that you insert into the console. ROMs are illegal to download unless you own the physical cartridge or disc because they are protected by copyright. Secondly, you must only download your ROMs from a reputable and safe source and use anti-virus on your device to ensure you are protected. You choose to install and use GBA4iOS at your own risk.
How to Download GBA4iOS:
With the formalities out of the way, it’s time to look at how you can install GBA4iOS onto your iPhone or iPad. Because you can’t get it from the app store, you will need to download an external store called Emus4U. Installing this doesn’t just allow you to download GBA4iOS; it also allows you to choose from over 2000 other apps, games, tweaks and more, all for free and many of them modified or tweaked with features that Apple wouldn’t approve of:
- Download Emus4U app straight to your iPhone or iPad
- Launch the app installer and search for GBA4iOS Emulator
- Tap on the relevant result, tap on Install and then wait
- When it’s done, GBA4iOS will be on your home screen
Untrusted Developer Error:
It is likely that, when you tap on GBA4iOS or even Emus4U App, for the first time, an Untrusted Developer error will appear, stopping you from going any further. To use the app you must resolve this issue.
- When the error message appears, note the developer name and click on Cancel
- Now open your Settings app and tap the General option
- Tap on Profiles and find that developer name in the list of app profiles
- Tap on the name and then tap the Trust button
- Close Settings and enjoy your unofficial apps and games
How Safe is GBA4iOS?
Very safe. It was provided by one of the most respected developers in the iOS community and he has a reputation to protect. He has worked hard to ensure that you have a safe emulator app to use on your iPhone or iPad and he has made sure that you do not need to jailbreak, which means no root access is required; that means your device has not been left open for any external threat.
How to Download ROMs Using GBA4iOS:
While there are some game ROMs in GBA4iOS, you will need to manually download them. Here’s how:
- Open GBA4iOS on your device and tap the Search button in the top-right corner
- You will see 11 game series – tap on one and then tap Preferred Vision
- Pick the version you want and tap on Download
- Tap Save and wait for the game ROM to download
- When it’s done, you can access your game via GBA4iOS
To add other ROMs, search on Google and download them in the same way.
How to Delete GBA4iOS:
Should you need to remove GBA4iOS from your device for any reason, just choose one of these methods:
Method 1: Settings App
- Launch Settings and go to General > Profiles
- Find and tap the GBA4iOS profile
- Tap Delete and then tap Delete again on the confirmation message
Method 2: App Icon
- Find the icon on your home screen and long-press it
- When the icon starts wiggling, tap on the small cross in the top-right corner
- Tap on Delete on the window that opens
Both methods will result in GBA4iOS being removed
GBA4iOS is a popular emulator app and is one of the easiest to use. It’s perfect for those who do not want to jailbreak but who want their favorite console games back on their devices. Give it a go; its free to use and offers a great choice of games.